Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Calling all expats! Your help needed!

"Do you want to come live and work in Australia?"
 
That was the message waiting for me when I went to shut down my computer one night. I knew the answer was “Yes” before I even rationalized it to myself. Sharon was on board as well. And so began the adventure of moving our stuff across the world. I figured I’d just hop online, do a quick search for “international movers” and find lots of reviews of moving companies, right? After all, this is the age of transparency, where everything is published and accessible on the internet. Turns out I was wrong: the world of international moving is still a black hole.

And so I spent hours of my life digging through what limited information was available so I could make something resembling an informed decision. In the end I went with a company that I felt comfortable with and, except for getting our stuff a month later than estimated, nothing went wrong.

But there are plenty of stories out there from people who relocated to a different country and had things go terribly wrong with the move. Damaged property. Goods held ransom until you pay more. Movers who lose your stuff and ignore your pleas for help. That’s why Sharon and I launched GoodMigrations: to make it easy to find reputable movers and get educated about the moving process.
 
But we need your help! If you've moved abroad already, please take a minute to review your mover. And if you have a blog, please consider giving GoodMigrations a mention -- we need as many reviews as possible to help future expats (and all of us when we move home some day).

No comments:

Post a Comment